9Health Topic of the Month
Tis the Season of Gratitude
The holidays are right around the corner and it's the time of year to give thanks for all the many blessings we have in our lives. The colonists gave thanks at Thanksgiving time for their survival and the food on their table. Today, we give thanks for the same reasons, but we have also learned there are many health benefits to being grateful and giving thanks. And the health benefits to extending gratitude all year long, not just around the holidays, are astonishing.
What are those benefits to giving gratitude? Researchers say we would be rewarded with better health overall. The connection between gratitude and health actually goes back a long ways. Throughout history, philosophers and religious leaders have said gratitude is essential to health and well-being.
Five Reasons Why Gratitude is Good for Your Health:
- Being thankful reduces depression: Choosing to think optimistically and reframing events/situations in a positive way has been shown to reduce depression.
- Gratitude can help you feel at peace: Being grateful is proven to lower anxiety. When your focus is on being thankful, you spend less time focused on the things that make you worry.
- Thankfulness can help you sleep better: When you feel thankful, you are more relaxed and therefore sleep better. Also, by getting enough sleep allows you to have more positive, thankful energy.
- Heart health comes from being thankful: Grateful people take better care of themselves, according to recent research. With regular exercise and healthy eating, your heart stays stronger.
- Gratitude helps happiness and happiness helps memory: Being grateful improves their overall sense of well-being and quality of life. Gratitude helps us to be thankful and remember the positive things about our past and present, thus keeping our memory sharper, healthy and stronger.
Get a more in-depth look at how gratitude can improve your health.
Then check out these ways to cultivate gratitude:
Showing your gratitude by volunteering this holiday season!
9NEWS On-Air Spot:
Bring friends and family through November 8th and give the Gift of Health
Don't forget, the Gift of Health is a great way to show how much you care. This gift card is redeemable for a Blood Chemistry Screening - our most popular. You can purchase your Gift of Health here for just $35. In addition to the Blood Chemistry Screening, there are a number of other low and no-cost areas to have your health checked at a 9Health Fair.
Connect with 9Health Fair
Follow us @9HealthFair or visit www.9healthfair.org often for new topics of the month, blog updates, available screenings, and ways to join our incredible volunteer team!
We want to hear from you!
Access the 9Health Topic of the Month Archive