9Health Topic of the Month
With fall in the air, so are many germs floating around just waiting to cause the seasonal sickness. But you can beat the bug by staying healthy and active. Your family's health is everything and creating habits that keep you all safe and healthy throughout your life is important. Eating right, maintaining a healthy weight and exercising are imperative to fighting off colds and more.
According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey from 2009/2010, more than two in three adults are considered overweight or obese
. And more than one in six children and adolescents ages six to 19 are considered obese. Working together as a family and learning how to encourage family wellness will go a long way.
Through November 8, bring your loved ones to a Family 9Health Fair near you
. Take advantage of free child health screenings including fluoride varnish for kids (new this year). And get your flu shot at a 9Health Fair this fall; you'll be glad you did. You can also learn new ways to be active as a family in the wellness center, and discover local resources of information. Most fairs are open 7:00am to Noon and offer all of the free and low-cost adult screenings
you have come to count on at a 9Health Fair.
Five Tips for Family Health and Wellness:
- Be Active Outdoors and Indoors: Moving your body keeps the blood flowing and your brain active, which in turn will help keep you healthier. Getting fresh air from outside is healthier than being inside, but if you are stuck inside because of the cold weather, keep moving - climb stairs in your house and walk laps at your local mall. Check out these Autumn Health and Safety Tips.
- Eat Healthy Foods: Eating healthy is not about a strict diet, it's about eating power foods that make you feel great, have more energy and keep you free from viruses. Try one of these easy and delicious Healthy Recipes.
- Wash Hands Frequently: The CDC estimates that 49,000 people die from the flu or flu-like illnesses each year. And amazingly, about 80 percent of these illnesses are transmitted by touch. The best protection for you and your family is frequent hand washing. Check out these tips on when and how to effectively wash your hands.
- Teach Safety to all Members of the Family: Taking an active role in learning about safety for all ages will keep your family from injury and illness. Create a Safe and Caring Home.
- Halloween Safety: It's that time of year when all those ghosts and goblins hit the pavement for a bucket full of candy. Watch your child's sugar intake and talk to them about trick or treat safety. Halloween Health and Safety Tips.
When it comes to the health of your family, you can never read and educate yourself too much. Below you will find helpful family wellness links for you and your family.
9NEWS On-Air Spot:
Bring friends and family this fall and give the Gift of Health
Don't forget, the Gift of Health is a great way to show how much you care. This gift card is redeemable for a Blood Chemistry Screening - our most popular. You can purchase your Gift of Health here for just $35. In addition to the Blood Chemistry Screening, there are a number of other low and no-cost areas to have your health checked at a 9Health Fair.
Connect with 9Health Fair
Follow us @9HealthFair or visit www.9healthfair.org often for new topics of the month, blog updates, available screenings, and ways tojoin our incredible volunteer team!
We want to hear from you!
Access the 9Health Topic of the Month Archive