(This guest post is authored by Julie Moore of Colorado Beef Council)
It is National Nutrition Month and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics wants you to “Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right”. Consumer research confirms that taste tops nutrition as the main reason why one food is purchased over another. However, it’s important that we find the balance between choosing foods we like with those that provide the nutrients we need.
There are plenty of delicious nutritious foods, combining both taste and nutrition for optimum health, and lean beef is one of them! Everyone has a “top 10” and beef’s big 10 includes:
1. Iron – helps your body use oxygen
2. Vitamins B6 – helps maintain brain function
3. Vitamin B12 – helps maintain brain function
4. Zinc – helps maintain a healthy immune system
5. Choline – supports nervous system development
6. Phosphorus – helps build bones and teeth
7. Protein – helps preserve and build muscle
8. Niacin – supports energy production and metabolism
9. Selenium – helps protect cells from damage
10. Riboflavin – helps convert food into fuel
Combine this power pack of nutrients with beef’s great taste and you are “enjoying the taste of eating right”! Visit www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com for more great tasting recipes or LIKE our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/cobeef and we will send you great recipes, health tips and some fun!