Guest Blog By Dr. Kari Williams, RMA (AMT), CPT (NHA), CET (NHA), BS, DC
Thanks to advances in science, technology, and modern medicine, humans are living longer than ever. Just because your body doesn’t work as well as it did when you were 20, it doesn’t mean you can’t continue to enjoy full and enriching retirement. You might just need a little help from technology.
Xiaomi Mi Smart Band 4 is one of the most budget-friendly fitness trackers tested by seniors according to AARP.org. This $30 tracker has the following features:
- Heart rate monitoring with all-day heart rate checking
- Idle alerts
- Sleep monitoring
- 6 workout modes; counts steps, distance, and calories burned
- Bluetooth connectivity to your phone for important notifications
- Set goals and your watch will help you reach them with reminders to move
- Available from Walmart.
Several free apps can help you stay motivated and active. Here are three free apps available for both iOS (iPhone) and Android devices.
- This app is touted as the best mobile fitness tracking experience. If you don’t want to invest in a watch or other gadget, you could download this app to your phone and it will track your workouts, minutes, map your routes, and count calories burned.
- The app can be used in conjunction with MyFitnessPal for a well-rounded picture of your daily diet and nutrition facts.
- Cost: free; ad-free MVP membership, $5.99 per month.
- Fitness programs specifically geared towards adults 65+.
- The app will help you find free Silver Sneakers workout classes at gyms near you and build fitness-level specific workout programs from 4-12-week plans.
- Contains strength, flexibility, cardio, and walking options, as well as “specialized” workouts for the lower back and hips.
- The app also provides the option of following guided audio and/or video lesson while logging your workout activity.
- If you need notifications, the app will remind you when it’s time to exercise.
- Cost: free
- You can tell this app how much time you have to exercise and select the body part to work and simple detailed workout videos are provided.
- Cost: free; ad-free Daily Workouts Pro, $19.99.
- There is also a companion Simply Yoga app that uses audio to guide you through beginner through advanced poses for 20, 40, or 60 minutes.
- Cost: free; ad-free Simply Yoga Pro, $14.99.