August can be one of the most beautiful months in Colorado! The weather is warm enough to still hit the pool, yet the mountains air brings cooler days. We start awaiting the changing of the leaves, but aren’t faced with fall quite yet.
So get out and about to enjoy the wonderful things to do in Denver while the weather is still beautiful and warm. Check out the many free attractions and tours that Denver has to offer:
- There are Denver Free Walking Tours offered daily! They start in Civic Center Park, cruise through downtown past many of Denver’s most unique landmarks, and end up right in front of Coors Field. You will get to enjoy much of Denver’s history, architecture and outdoor landscapes. This is a great way to be outside, get exercise and enjoy some wonderful scenery along the way.
- Learn how money is made by taking the U.S. Mint Tour! They produce 50 million coins each day, each one stamped with the letter “D” so people know that particular coin was made in Denver. These free tours will take you through the process of turning a dull, blank metal piece into shiny change.
- The Colorado State Capitol Tour is amazing! Stand on the steps outside the building and you will be exactly a mile above sea level. Once you are inside, you will enjoy beautiful murals, listen to the Colorado General Assembly, and view the magnificent gold-dome at the top of the structure. Free tours are available Mondays through Fridays from 10am to 3pm.
- Looking for a perfect after-school activity? Check out the Children’s Museum of Denver every first Tuesday of the month from 4pm to 8pm. Enjoy the one-of-a-kind, interactive exhibits; they are hands on and perfect for newborns through age 8.
- Did you know that Colorado is home to dinosaurs? Well come check out famous Jurassic dinosaur bones, such as Stegosaurus and Apatosaurus, which were discovered in 1877. You will also see Cretaceous dinosaur footprints. A guidebook is available for use on the Dinosaur Ridge self-guided tours.
- Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD) free days offer Colorado residents a plethora of cultural attractions for free on select days throughout the summer. Denver Botanic Gardens at York Street: August 31 and September 9. Denver Museum of Nature & Science: August 12 and September 27. Clyfford Still Museum: August 28 and September 25.
- If you’re a sports fan, and even if you aren’t, the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame Museum honors the legacies of The Mile High City’s greatest sports heroes. Housed in Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium, it also features the Gallery of Legends, a “Great Moments in Colorado Sports” exhibit and a section celebrating the achievements of girls and women in Colorado sports.
Make this August a month you will always remember! See how many of these free attractions you can visit this month, then tell us about them on Facebook!