One challenge right now is making easy, healthy meals at home. During the stay at home orders, due to the coronavirus, many of us are maybe cooking more than we’re used to.
We talked with Dr. Jennifer Bolton, a registered dietitian at Project Wellness 365, and a professor at Metropolitan State University in Denver. She shared an easy recipe for white bean chicken chili that’s also good for you.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 3 cups boneless chicken (about 4 breasts cut into bite size pieces or smaller)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp finely minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (optional)
- 32 oz chicken stock salt & pepper to taste
- 2 – 15 oz cans of white beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 – 4 oz cans diced green chilies
- 1 cup – 1 bag of frozen or canned corn
- Cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips to top if desired
- Sauté onions in olive oil until soft and translucent.
- Add chicken and sauté until no longer pink.
- Stir in garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock, beans, corn, chilies, oregano, cumin, and coriander.
- Turn heat to simmer for 20 min. Stir in lime juice and season to taste.
(Notes: I use a whole small steam bag of birds eye corn and I use ½ jar of 505 Hatch green chilies)