A healthy diet can help you prevent, manage and even reverse diabetes. You are what you eat and you can choose the right food to help you prevent or reduce your risk of diabetes. For American Diabetes Awareness Month, we talked with a variety of health experts about diabetes and how simple lifestyle changes can make a significant difference in diabetes management and prevention.
This week on Health Happens, we talked with Kimsey Self, Medical Nutrition Therapist, PhD candidate, and founder of Progressive Health and Wellness about some essential dietary needs for those who are dealing with diabetes. Click here to watch the full episode.
About 1 in 3 Americans have Type 2 diabetes and about 90% of people are not aware that they have it. Kimsey Self stated “Type 2 diabetes it really affects all body systems, it’s not just about high blood sugar. It’s about what that sugar does to the rest of the body.”
Type 2 diabetes can be particularly harmful if left untreated. Some of the issues that can arise include:
- increase risk for cardiovascular disease
- impact on brain health
- impact of the immune system
- impact on eye health
- increase in body Inflammation
Kimsey explained that there are specific dietary needs that can help manage and prevent diabetes. We made this “Homemade Protein Bar” recipe, which includes, fiber, essential fatty acids and of course protein. These are all items that are digested slowly and provide a steady stream of fuel for the body, which is needed for those who are dealing with diabetes.
- 2 cups organic nut butter (sunflower, almond, or cashew)
- 4 scoops protein powder (add until a desired dough-like consistency is achieved)
- 3 scoops Garden of Life Super Seed mix (optional)
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Dash of cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- Mix nut butter, protein powder, and cinnamon together until a dough-like consistency is achieved.
- Spread evenly across 9’’ by 13’’ pan.
- Sprinkle seed mix, chopped pecans, walnuts, over top.
- Cut into bars to the desired size.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving! (It can also be frozen).
- Serve and enjoy!
9Health is a 501c-3 community non-profit empowering people to put health in their own hands by providing tools such as preventive health screenings, evidence-based, objective health education and eTools and resources for every day in your health journey. To support their work, go to www.9healthfair.org/sponsors/support/.