What you need to know about the coronavirus, COVID-19
9Health is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. As a leader in the health industry in Colorado, we are working with our media partner at 9NEWS to disseminate accurate and factual information as it becomes available from credible sources. By focusing on factual information, we can help dispel undue fear while encouraging appropriate preparedness and precautions.
COVID-19 is a new strain of coronavirus that first started in Wuhan, China at the end of 2019. It showed up in the United States in February. The first case of COVID-19 was announced in Colorado on March 5th, 2020. Symptoms of the virus include fever, cough, and shortness of breath and may appear 2-14 days after exposure. For the latest number of cases of the coronavirus in the United States, click here.
Examples of social distancing include:
- Avoiding crowded places
- Avoiding restaurants/theaters/concerts & large events
- Not traveling
- Maintaining 6-8 feet of distance among people
- Limiting contact with even small groups
- Not touching or having close contact for greeting
9Health staff will be practicing social distancing by working from home effective Tuesday, March 17th. We will follow the guidance from our medical experts and public health officials to determine next steps. We are available by email and phone during this time and we will respond within 24 hours. Email [email protected] for general inquiries or find individual emails here. You can also leave a message at 303-698-4455.
Additional ways to protect yourself include:
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- If soap and water aren’t available, use alcohol based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your face
- Stay home if you are sick – call your doctor before going into the office if you are experiencing any symptoms of the coronavirus
- Wear a facemask in public
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily
Even though the 9Health Fairs aren’t happening this spring, we are still pursuing options for health screenings, including at-home health testing kits as well as other alternatives. We launched this landing page and will be updating it frequently to keep Coloradans informed about COVID-19, provide resources, and update you on the status of rescheduled 9Health Fairs.
TOGETHER, 9NEWS AND 9HEALTH ARE KEEPING COLORADO HEALTHY
- 9NEWS and 9Health is hosting virtual town halls, 3/18, 3/25 and 4/1 at 4:00 p.m. on the 9NEWS and 9Health Facebook pages.
- In additon to the 9Health Virtual Town Halls we will also be hosting a Facebook Live the other days of the week at 3:00 p.m.
- Facebook Live topic 3/23 – 3/27 at 3:00 p.m.: Taking care of your mental health amidst the coronavirus. We will interview various mental health experts about reliving anxiety during this uncertain time.
- 9Health is pursuing at-home health testing kits. We know that Colorado communities across the state rely on the 9Health Fair for free/affordable health screenings. In the wake of postponing our spring fairs to later this year, we are looking into options that allow 9Health Fair attendees to continue to receive health awareness through at-home testing kits as well as additional options.
- Through this partnership, we will keep the public informed. 9NEWS is our committed partner in helping us inform the community on the facts and steps people can take to stay healthy. Together we have introduced a new 9Health expert, Dr. Payal Kohli, and you will get to know her well in the coming weeks as we increase her presence on all 9NEWS and 9Health platforms.
- Most importantly, we remain committed to our mission of advancing health awareness across Colorado and providing people with the tools they need to take responsibility for their own health.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT THE 9HEALTH FAIRS POSTPONEMENT:
Why are you postponing the spring 9Health Fairs?
Since our inception in 1979, 9Health has always been focused on prevention and advancing health awareness. Due to the spread of COVID-19, and guidance from officials to limit large gatherings, it is our responsibility and duty as stewards of the community to take steps to continue to keep Colorado healthy.
Will my 9Health Fair be rescheduled for a later date?
We hope so. This year, more than 90 spring 9Health Fairs were planned and organized by volunteers across the state of Colorado. It will take our team some time to work with the lead volunteers to determine which fairs can logistically be rescheduled for later this year. Until then, please continue to check this landing page for event-specific information.
Will I be refunded for the screenings I’ve already purchased?
Absolutely. While we encourage you to transfer your registration to the re-scheduled date, we will process a refund for anyone who requests it. Please contact the 9Health Client Services Department at [email protected] or call us at 303-698-4455. Please keep in mind that during this unprecedented time of disruption, our staff and volunteers will be working in a new capacity to serve you, our community.
I have registered for a 9Health Fair, can I transfer my registration to a Fall 2020 9Health Fair?
Yes, participants will have the opportunity to transfer their registration to a fair after they are officially rescheduled.
When will you have information about the in-home testing kits?
9Health is working with its key partner, Quest Labs, to identify alternatives for receiving blood screening. We believe In-home test kits and visiting a Quest Service Center may be two options available later this Spring or early Summer. Please check back here for future developments.
Are the fall 9Health Fair plans also being postponed?
As of today, the fall 9Health Fairs are all still planned as scheduled from late September-November. Check 9HealthFair.org in early August for exact dates and times. We are following the situation closely and speaking with experts daily to make decisions that are in the best interest of Colorado. Continue to check this landing page for up-to-date fair information.
How dangerous is the Coronavirus, really? What steps can I take to protect myself and my family from Coronavirus? Should I purchase face masks? Am I at risk?
9Health expert Dr. Payal Kohli with 9NEWS, our trusted partner in helping us inform the community, will continue to provide facts and steps people can take to stay healthy amid the COVID-19 situation. For answers to these and other common questions, check this page frequently, 9NEWS.com and the 9NEWS Facebook page.
- If you have questions about the new coronavirus, COVID-19 you can call the Colorado Health Emergency Line for the Public (CO HELP) at 303-389-1687 or 1-877-462-2911 or email [email protected]
- CDPHE coronavirus web page
- CDPHE: Resources for local public health agenices and health care providers
- CDC: 2019 novel coronavirus web page
- CDC: Novel coronavirus information for travelers
- World Health Organization coronavirus web page
- Well-Advised: How to deal with COVID-19 when you are over 65
9Health Expert Dr. Payal Kohli is following the latest updates on COVID-19. Click the story links below for more.
What is social distancing? – There’s a way to slow the spread of the new coronavirus, COVID-19, and it’s something that will involve the whole community. It’s called social distancing.
COVID-19 do’s and don’ts – With all the information out there about the new coronavirus, it can be easy to feel overwhelmed about what we should and shouldn’t be doing.
Coronavirus through the eyes of a doctor – Dr. Kohli shares her personal thoughts and reactions to the coronavirus spread.
Hand washing science in the time of the coronavirus – With the spread of the new coronavirus, COVID-19, everyone has been talking about hand hygiene but here is the science behind why hand hygiene works.
9Health Expert answers top questions about the coronavirus – Dr. Kohli addressed some of the top questions she has received as of the start of March.