Coronavirus, COVID-19 Information and Resources
9Health is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. As a leader in the health industry in Colorado, we are working with our media partner at 9NEWS to disseminate accurate and factual information as it becomes available from credible sources. By focusing on factual information, we can help dispel undue fear while encouraging appropriate preparedness and precautions.
What you need to know about the coronavirus, COVID-19
COVID-19 is a new strain of coronavirus that first started in Wuhan, China at the end of 2019. It showed up in the United States in February. The first case of COVID-19 was announced in Colorado on March 5th, 2020. Symptoms of the virus include fever, cough, and shortness of breath and may appear 2-14 days after exposure. For the latest number of cases of the coronavirus in the United States, click here.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says it’s critical we limit our activities to slow the spread of the virus practice social distancing, and everyone over the age of two should wear a cloth face covering, or mask, in public settings around people that don’t live in your household.
What Is Social Distancing?
“Social distancing is essentially changing your behavior so you’ve avoided situations or events where you could spread the virus,” 9Health Expert Dr. Payal Kohli said. With social distancing, a virus’ spread can be slowed, and at its peak, there won’t nearly be as many cases. Because it doesn’t run its course quite as quickly, its lifespan is longer, but also less severe. So far, we have done our part to “flatten the curve” but it is a marathon, not a sprint, and we need to continue to distance ourselves for the foreseeable future.
Examples of social distancing include:
- Avoiding crowded places
- Avoiding restaurants/theaters/concerts & large events
- Not traveling
- Maintaining 6-8 feet of distance among people
- Limiting contact with even small groups
- Not touching or having close contact for greeting
Ways To Protect Yourself
Here are some tips to protect yourself and your loved ones:
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- If soap and water aren’t available, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your face
- Stay home if you are sick – call your doctor before going into the office if you are experiencing any symptoms of the coronavirus
- Wear a facemask in public
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily
Answers from 9Health Expert, Dr. Payal Kohli
9Health expert Dr. Payal Kohli with 9NEWS, our trusted partner in helping us inform the community, will continue to provide facts and steps people can take to stay healthy amid the COVID-19 situation.
If you have questions about the new coronavirus, COVID-19 you can call the Colorado Health Emergency Line for the Public (CO HELP) at 303-389-1687 or 1-877-462-2911 or email [email protected]
- CDPHE coronavirus web page
- CDPHE: Resources for local public health agencies and health care providers
- CDC: 2019 novel coronavirus web page
- CDC: Novel coronavirus information for travelers
- World Health Organization coronavirus web page
- Well-Advised: How to deal with COVID-19 when you are over 65
- Additional updates from 9NEWS